January 21, 2009

Paper or Plastic?? A killer challenge.....

I've wanted to blog about this for a while but wasn't really sure what to say. But it's a pretty simple concept and I wonder why it hasn't caught on yet?? I wonder why people refuse to acknowledge we have a problem...we are addicted to paper & plastic. While online today, I read this interesting article on this website that I'm currently obsessed with (http://www.lifeorganizers.com/) and it made me stop & really wonder what people are thinking??? We are a selfish world at times.....

Anyway.....some might know that I'm a HUGE purse fanatic & if you saw my closet you'd see I'm more of a "bag-lady" then a "shoe-lady", which kinda paved the way into my current bag fascination--Recyclable/Reusable shopping bags. Just about every store carries them--even SAM'S CLUB ($2.99 for a set of two). Yes, you do have to pay for them but they aren't expensive--I've never seen one more then $1.99 (Wal-Mart has them for $1, at least they were when I bought them)--now keep in mind I have one from just about every store & can't seem to stop myself (that's a WHOLE other blog). I have a good collection going and what I love most about them is, instead of walking out of Wally-World or Target with about 50 plastic bags, I can still shop the same and walk out having only used 4-5 of my reusable bags! The 4-5 will cover my big grocery shopping day. However, if I run in somewhere I usually only need just one. My favorite are the SAM'S CLUB bags because they are gigantic!!! No it's not embarrassing to whip out your bags & have the checker pack your bags either, it's a conversation starter and can impact the person packing your bags or the person behind you!
So here is my killer challenge.....read this article "Paper or Plastic - The Debate Over Grocery Store Bags" and then think about this....what's $2 compared to the alternative! This is the reality of it and what our thoughtlessness for this planet has created & continues to create daily!
.....then put aside $5.00 (you'd use it on that candy bar & gossip magazine anyway--admit it) and buy yourself a few bags. Collect just 5 (I can honestly say that's all you'll need for a FULL grocery list) and watch your never ending drawer-filled with plastic bags start to disappear. It'll take some time to remember them so always keep some in your car but you'll get the hang of it. Just keep the above picture in your mind. As for what to do with the bags you DO HAVE--take them to Wally-World, they'll recycle them! You know you gotta go there anyway for more groceries at some point! I promise it's worth it.....for you, for your children, for the water we drink, the Ocean the fish swim in and for our Earth--the same Earth we were given charge over.

STAY TUNED--I'll post my collection later!!! hehehehehe!!!

1 comment:

AshleyAnn said...

Great post! I am a big fan of reusable bags too...it also is a great lesson for ever observant kids!